New month, new post! Before I delve into this one, let me get one thing across – I am not by any means an athletic person. All my life I was terrible at sports, and even though I did get A’s in P.E., it was because I put in the effort, not necessarily because I excelled in sports. Anyways, with that being said, being physically active and moving my body a couple times a week has become a habit for me starting this year, and because of that, I’ve noticed a considerable change in my body and in my lifestyle. In this post, I want to share with you 5 reason why moving your body and leading a healthy, active lifestyle is important. And you don’t even have to be an athlete to make these changes for yourself.
To be quite honest with you, I used to be so lazy about getting my ass out of bed to go on a jog outside, or even sign up for a membership at the nearby gym. This all changed when I went through a devastating heartbreak at the beginning of the year, and I needed to find a healthy distraction to steer my focus away from negative thoughts. After one full day of moping and calling all my girlfriends, I signed up for a gym membership and it was the best thing I ever did for myself at the time. And I’m proud to say I haven’t stopped since.
After being physically active for almost a whole year, below are 5 reasons why I believe moving your body is so important for physical and emotional health:
- You will be more alert and energetic throughout the day. 一日中エネルギッシュになります。According to this article, exercise delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and helps your cardiovascular system work more efficiently, hence allowing you to do your daily chores with more energy. Doing a decent amount of cardio to work out a good sweat helps me maintain the energy I need, and if I happen to work out at night, it helps me sleep better, which leads me to my next point.
- You will sleep better. もっとぐっすり眠れます。The same article states that regular exercise can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. I used to work out in the mornings, but because of my work schedule these days, I’ve been working out at night, and I definitely sleep so much better after I do. I wake up the next morning feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day.
- You can achieve a toned body and control your weight. もっと引き締まった身体を作り、体重のコントロールもできます。I used to never have defined muscles until I started regular, continuous physical activity. But after working out using the machines at the gym, and then eventually switching to core workouts such as using the balance ball, I noticed my abs and biceps were becoming more toned, which is what I was aiming for. Also, regular exercise actually forced me to eat better, and I’m more selective of what I put in my body.
- Increasing muscle mass leads to better metabolism. 筋肉量が増量し、新陳代謝もアップします。The less muscle mass you have, the slower your metabolism becomes. This is bound to happen as you get older, so it’s important to start exercising now. According to this article, muscle uses more calories than fat, so strengthening your muscles will make you into a more efficient calorie-burning machine, even when you’re at rest. During my 1~1 1/2 hour at the gym, I try to include different kinds of workouts to increase my muscle mass, hence improving my metabolism.
- It puts you in a better mood. ポジティブな気分になれます！This is the best part, and this is why I started regularly working out in the first place. I want to feel good about myself and work towards a goal. And when I started achieving those goals small steps at a time, it felt good. I was proud of myself and I didn’t want to stop. I guarantee that you will be in a more positive mood once you begin a regular routine of exercise and start seeing improvement.
Top, sports bra, leggings and sneakers from Bershka.
All photos by Fu Sheng Wang.
I can relate so much to this post because I love working out and I agree with all of your reasons why we should move our bodies. Ever since I started to incorporate excercise into my regime, it’s been a lifestyle and I can’t imagine my life without it.
I totally agree with this entire post! Exercise is good for your entire life. Not just for health reasons. I like to do something at least three times a week. I feel better when I at least ride my bike or do yoga or some kind of physical activity. It has become an integral part of my life!! Great post!
Exercise is such an important part of my daily routine. Not only does it give me energy, but it boosts my confidence. I love all of these reasons to workout, and they are definitely motivating me to stay on track! Plus, you look absolutely gorgeous in your workout outfit.
Samantha I love this post and agree with everything you say. I exercise daily and do not mind getting up early and exercise before I start my day. It gives me a chance to clear my mind and plan my schedule for anything else I want to do besides my classes at USC. I love your workout outfits. I think you feel better when you look better especially dressing for the occasion.
You look amazing and it’s so true. Being physically fit makes you a happier and more energetic person. I go in waves and once you take a break it is hard to start up again, but when you’re in the routine, you don’t want to stop. It’s so addicting but in a good way because it’s great for your mind and body. This workout attire is fab too and you look so chic while getting fit! Proud of you for sticking to it! xoxo, Christine
Beautiful body, Mariko san!!
I really love all this workout gear so much! Great colors and definitely as attractive as they are practical! I love your reasons to stay active and agree with every single one. The energy level and overall feeling that you did something great for yourself is what keeps me at! Thank you so much for the motivation!
very inspiring post, I always had hard time staying motivated, thanks for sharing.
After a 2 week flu and birthday celebrations I am desperate to start working out again! It’s super cold here in Scotland but gym is a MUST next week 🙂
Great and inspiring post! Thank you, Sam. I have to start my gym sessions again, I was so lazy during last months.
I really can feel that sport busts my energy and influences on my mood. Love your pictures, you look amazing and you are in such a good shape@
Nothing bad that doesn’t lead to something good is a saying that I believe is quite true. Your heartbreak led to you first of all focusing on other things, but also to the wonderful world of exercise which I should engage more in. Not only do I want to be more toned, but all the other benefits, mainly mental ones, that come with it are ever so crucial to your wellbeing. I’ll try to get my behind out of whatever it’s placed in right now and start working out again!
Exercise definitely does the body good! I feel so much better each time I go, well afterwards anyway haha. Glad you’ve made the decision to stay active babe!
I’m glad you shared this post. Anyone can find the motivation to keep a healthy lifestyle, the limitations are just in our mind. Keep movig is most important, to keep always and to learn new generations to moving.
Such a motivational post babe, yes I do needs to get out there and get my body moving.
This is so true babe getting your body move totally change the way your body looks and how it affects your day. I don’t consider my self an athletic person neither but I do tried to do lots of outdoors activities while im traveling so I can at eats keep my shape and keep my body moving. Thanks for sharing all these tips.
I totally agree! I found myself sleepy all the time so I started working out and it gave me so much more energy every day. And that energy ends up becoming addicting!
such a GREAT post babe! so inspiring and so true! it is so important to workout and I love that you shared this
Girl, you look super fierce! I am loving this post so much – I try to walk 10,000 steps everyday to sort of keep my body going but I will always try to do 30 minutes to exercise if I can. Thanks for sharing!
☼ cabin twenty-four
Oh my …. well hun… what can I say… u said it all above… and honestly I have to get in a better shape… after my workout session from 2 days ago…. and with no streching…. I now suffer from the severe after workout pain on every inch of my body. U are clearly a pro when it comes to moving and be more active… and I hope soon I would be one as well.