My name is Samantha Mariko, PR/marketing by day and DJ by night. Originally from Orange County, California, I made the bold decision to move to Tokyo almost 10 years ago with the intention of starting a modeling career and have been here ever since. I made my DJ debut in 2016, and in 2018, I started working in PR and event production. I’ve also done MC & translating/interpreting work for various clients including NYX Cosmetics, Jergens and Lauren Roth, and have previously narrated for NHK World’s Kawaii International for 2 years. My hobbies include reading, singing, making music, anime and Japanese calligraphy.
カリフォルニア州、オレンジカウンティー出身のDJ＆PR・マーケティングです。モデルキャリアをスタートするために、１０年前にカリフォルニアから日本へ移住しました。2016年にDJデビューをし、2018年からPRやイベントプロダクションのお仕事もさせていただいてます。また、通訳や翻訳のお仕事もさせていただいてたり（NYX Cosmetics, Jergens, Lauren Rothなど）、２年間 NHK World Kawaii International のナレーションもやらせていただきました。趣味は読書、歌、楽曲制作、アニメと書道です。
5 fun facts about me to get to know me better:
- I was not always a “fashionista,” and I didn’t always care about how I presented myself.ずっとお洒落してたわけではなく、再従姉妹に初めて眉毛を整えてもらった以来、お洒落人生が大きく変わりました。This all changed when my mom’s cousin, whom I look up to as my older sister, told me to lie my head down on her lap as she plucked my then-bushy eyebrows to perfection. I was 13 years old at the time. From that day forward, I started wearing makeup, put in more thought and consideration in how I dressed, and of course, continued to maintain my eyebrows. She literally changed my life.
- I’m half-Japanese, half-Caucasian. 日本人とアメリカ人のハーフです。Even though my dad used to say, “You are not half anything, you’re a whole person,” I still consider myself as being half-Japanese & half-Caucasian since my mom is Japanese and my dad is an American of Anglo-Saxon descent. It’s just easier that way.
- I have a Bachelor’s degree in piano performance from UCLA. カリフォルニア大学ロサンゼルス校でピアノ科を専攻し、文学士号を取得してます。Yes, I used to play my Beethoven Sonatas and Chopin Etudes, but Scriabin was my favorite.
- I love reading. 読書が大好きです。More than I love watching movies. If I could afford it, I would stay at home and read all day. But if I had to choose a favorite movie, I would choose Pride and Prejudice (2004) hands down. I’ve watched it too many times to count.
- Moving to Japan was probably one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 日本に来る決断は一生後悔しません。Moving to a completely different country alone and immersing myself in a different culture than the one I grew up in has helped me grow significantly as a person and see the world in a much broader perspective.
To get to know me even better, check out my blog post, “10 Things You May Not Know About Me.”