Tokyo has officially entered coat season, and everywhere I go, the holiday spirit is in the air. Earlier this week, I went to Tokyo Disneyland and it was so festive with all the Christmas decorates and the huge Christmas tree on Main Street. I always get excited when sweater weather is in full swing, because I love a good, cozy knit with a hot cup of coffee. These photos were taken at the new TRUNK Hotel in Shibuya, a cool hangout spot with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating to just chill with friends or get some work done outside of the office. If you haven’t been here yet, I definitely recommend checking it out.
For this post, I decided to switch things up and write up a post that will hopefully give you a better understanding of who I am. I love reading these kinds of posts on other blogs so I thought I’d try the same formula. Anyways, here are 10 things you (probably) don’t know about me, and if you already do, kudos to you!
- I’m the oldest in my family. 実は長女なんです！I have 2 younger brothers, 3 years and 8 years apart respectively.
- I’m half-Japanese, half-Caucasian. 日本人とアメリカ人のハーフです。Even though my dad used to say, “You are not half anything, you’re a whole person,” I still consider myself as being half-Japanese & half-Caucasian since my mom is Japanese and my dad is an American of Anglo-Saxon descent. It’s just easier that way.
- I used to go to school 6 1/2 days a week until I was 12. １２歳まで学校は週６日半通ってました。If you consider Sunday school “school,” that is. Apart from going to school Monday-Friday, I attended Japanese language school every Saturday.
- I have a Bachelor’s degree in piano performance from UCLA. カリフォルニア大学ロサンゼルス校でピアノ科を専攻し、文学士号を取得してます。Yes, I used to play my Beethoven Sonatas and Chopin Etudes, but Scriabin was my favorite.
- I have a birthmark on my right arm that looks like a burn. 右腕に、火傷と間違われる赤ちゃん痣を持っています。So many people who see it for the first time immediately assume it’s a burn, but it’s a birthmark called a “port wine stain.” Apparently a doctor told my mom that it would disappear when I turned 5 but I’m twenty-something now and it’s still there, bright red as ever.
- I have the biggest sweet tooth. 甘いものには目がないです。Every single attempt to eliminate sweets completely from my diet has been futile.
- I love reading. 読書が大好きです。More than I love watching movies. If I could afford it, I would stay at home and read all day. But if I had to choose a favorite movie, I would choose Pride and Prejudice (2004) hands down. I’ve watched it too many times to count.
- If you ask what my favorite color is, I will automatically say pink. 好きな色は何？と聞かれたら、多分ピンクと答えます。I very rarely even wear the color, but it is definitely a mood-boosting color and makes me happy.
- I have very few dislikes in terms of food. 好き嫌いはほとんどないです。I pretty much live for good food and I enjoy trying new dishes and cuisines.
- I was not always a “fashionista,” and I didn’t always care about how I presented myself. ずっとお洒落してたわけではなく、再従姉妹に初めて眉毛を整えてもらった以来、お洒落人生が大きく変わりました。This all changed when my mom’s cousin, whom I look up to as my older sister, told me to lie my head down on her lap as she plucked my then-bushy eyebrows to perfection. I was 13 years old at the time. From that day forward, I started wearing makeup, put in more thought and consideration in how I dressed, and of course, continued to maintain my eyebrows. She literally changed my life.
So, did you learn any new facts about me after reading this post? Hope you enjoyed it!
GU sweater, Uniqlo hat, Paula Bianco scarf, All Saints crossbody, Urban Outfitters jeans, Kendall + Kylie boots (via Shopbop), Nixon watch
All photos by Fu Sheng Wang
I love these types of posts because it’s a great way to get to know you! I didn’t know you played the piano, it’s no wonder why you are so creative. And I can relate to you on the last one about not always being a fashionista because I used to not give too much attention to how I presented myself either. You should do more of these posts!
I love reading these types of posts because I get to know you better. Behind all the fashion and beauty I love hearing where you came from and some of the things we wouldn’t see form photos. I totally have a major sweet tooth too and love all kinds of food, I think it is cool that you are half Japanese and half Anglo because I can see where you get your beauty from! I knew you had a piano performance degree from UCLA but I still always find that so cool that you are so talented in music. Thanks for sharing these tidbits and can’t wait to find out more! xoxo, Christine
Thanks for sharing things we do not know about you. We have similar likes. Love your photos – beautiful.
First off, I want That watch and those boots! Now to this list. You are one interesting chick! I defintely wasn’t surprised that you played the piano. It seems this would be a skill you would possess. I enjoyed learning more about you. And I cant believe you weren’t always a fashionista! Cool post!
Thanks for sharing more about you . I’m think you had a very good education. Love the fact you can play at Piano and know the classic music is the most difficult. Love your habits to read this result you want to know more …you’re an intelligent person. I read it the Jane Austen books many years ago and liked the romantic stories like you…so many things.. I’m curious to know more about you !
This was so awesome to read. I didn’t think I could possibly love and admire you anymore than I already did but I do. We actually have a lot in common. I love to read , the color pink and have a serious sweet tooth. I also studied piano but not to the degree you did! Your outfit here is really perfect and I love the hat so much!
I Love reading and learning more about you Samantha! And I love pink, too!! that is so wonderful you hold a degree from UCLA in Music. We have many interests in common. Great post!!! xx. Gina
I learned so much about you! That’s so cool that you attended UCLA. Thanks for sharing. 🙂 Also, I love your outfit. It’s definitely the perfect fall / winter look.
Sweet as Fiction
This is such a great post. So many things that I didn’t know about you especially that you like the colour pink! Would never have guessed! Loved your looks in today’s post girlie!
Sweet as Fiction
Sweater weather is in the air obviously, and your outfit perfect!
This is such an amazing list! I had no idea that you have a degree from UCLA, or that you play piano! All of these facts are so interesting. It’s nice to know more about you.
sonia // daring coco
This was such a wonderful read. I’m the oldest too. But I just have a younger brother. I also love that you have a bachelors in piano. Is there anything you can’t do girlie?! Hehehe!
What a lovely time getting to know you darling! I have a major sweet tooth as well and was so nervous to go to the dentist last week… LOL lucky for me I got out with no cavities somehow. Phew! Your outfit is so chic btw and perfect for the cool weather lately 🙂 xo, sharon
Gosh 6 and half days at school? I definitely think some kids need it in this society 🙂 You look gorgeous and I love your nationality mix
I think the only thing I knew about you was the the fact that you were a piano performance major at UCLA. I guessed that you were half Japanese and the other facts were all new to me! Thank you for sharing a little bit of your life with us. It’s good to get to know who’s behind all the fabulous fashion I see here!
Getting to know you in bits and pieces like this is intriguing. I find everything from the birth mark to becoming a fashionista, but most of all having BA in piano which is so very dear to me, the most intriguing.. Keep being you, keep being amazing and keep being Samantha!
It’s lovely reading a little bit more about you! I think it’s so cool you come from a classical music background and you mix the coolest, contemporary music. Thanks for sharing these things about yourself with us! I love your cool fashion sense and can’t believe you weren’t always a fashionista 🙂
Great post. I loved reading these things about you. That birthmark is interesting. Haha. Would like to see a picture someday. I’m part Asian-Caucasian too. And oooooh, you play the piano. I always wanted to and envy those who can.
Joy to the World
Aww it’s so nice to get to know you a little better. Love this outfit by the way.
This is so fun Sam I love reading this post! Thanks for sharing all these facts about you!
I would never guess the pink color is your favourite and very impress about the piano. I would love to hear you play once.
Ireally like your blog !