I realize I’ve neglected to post on my blog since the end of last year. To put it quite frankly, I haven’t been feeling as motivated to create new content, and I’d rather post nothing at all than half-heartedly whip up a random post. Well, I can’t say this itself isn’t a random post but beauty & skincare are two things I’m passionate about and I’ve done my fair share of experimenting.
With that being said, this post is a general “dos and don’ts” of skincare that I follow 99% of the time and you probably should, too!
- Do NOT sleep with your makeup on. メイクしたまま寝ちゃダメ！Like, absolutely not. I am probably one of the laziest people alive but I still make sure to remove all of my makeup before I go to sleep, even if it’s 6 in the morning and I was up all night DJing and partying at the club. By doing this simple step + toning the skin, you allow for it to breathe & repair itself during the night and also avoid getting nasty pimples. Imagine all of the dirt you get rid of with this simple step! Personally, I like using cleansing balms (Clinique is my favorite) to get the job done, followed by an alcohol-free toner to balance the skin and remove anything that might be left over.
- DO get plenty of sleep (when you can). 睡眠はしっかりとって！As adults, I know this can be a hard rule to follow, but a good night’s rest can do wonders for your entire body. To list a few important benefits of sleep: it can help prevent cancer, reduce stress, make you more alert, improve your memory, and help you lose weight. Studies show that a person should aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night. I mean, they don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing, right?
- Do NOT forget your neck. 首を忘れちゃダメ！This is a skincare rule. I think many people tend to do all the fancy skincare on the face and neglect the neck and decollete areas. BIG MISTAKE, GUYS! The neck is one of the body parts that really show signs of aging so you definitely want to make sure to give it plenty of TLC. If you want to go above and beyond, try an anti-aging neck cream (a beautiful list on Harper’s Bazaar for your convenience) to complete your skincare routine.
- DO moisturize right after your shower/bath. シャワー・お風呂の後すぐに保湿して！OMG, this is also so important. And I mean RIGHT after you dry yourself off after a shower/bath. The whole point is to moisturize with your lotion, cream or body oil of choice while your body is still moist to retain as much moisture as possible. I’ve been following this rule pretty diligently for a couple of years now and I noticed my stretch marks have become almost non-existent. I highly recommend using a body oil like the Johnson’s Shea and Cocoa Butter Oil Gel. And here’s a quick read about the importance of moisturizing your body right after your shower.
- Do NOT forget to floss. 歯磨きの後のフロスは忘れちゃダメ！Don’t forget your oral hygiene, folks! Brushing your teeth is a given, but I’m surprised that some people actually skip the flossing, which is pretty bad if you ask me. Does anyone realize how much gunk gets stuck between one’s teeth throughout the day that can’t be removed just by brushing one’s teeth? At least make sure to do one round of floss at the end of the day. Keeps those teeth pearly white, no joke! I swear by GLIDE ORAL-B floss to get the job done.
- DO apply your SPF. SPFは必ず塗って！This is a low-key very important step in your skincare routine and another thing I notice people skipping quite often. It is probably the easiest way to protect your skin from UVB rays and skin cancer. I’ve been diligently applying sunscreen on my face since I was eleven years old (thank you for the tip, Mom!) and I can say without a doubt that that is my secret to youthful-looking skin. There are so many brands of SPF in all price ranges that you just simply don’t have an excuse not to use it!
What kind of beauty/skincare routines do you swear by? Let me know in the comments!